By Mark Wood
Burritos are a favourite in our house. Maybe it’s because they fit in one hand, leaving the other hand free for other activities such as tennis, stroking a dog or “enjoying” a kale smoothie. The best thing about burritos are that you can never make too much ingredients, because whatever is left over can be made into a salad, burrito bowl or more burritos.
This recipe is REALLY easy, and to be honest you can prepare them however you like. I like mine where everything is hot and cooked through, but you may prefer a cooler salad burrito. The best thing, is it’s packed with protein and carbs for fuelling the hard work you put in the gym.
- Beef Mince (If you have a slow cooker, throw some chuck steak in with some canned tomato and mexican spices and leave it on low all day)
- Guacamole (Mix up some avocado, fresh lime and season with salt a pepper)
- Black Beans (canned is fine)
- Salsa (Fresh stuff is the bomb, but the store bought version is fine)
- Wholegrain tortillas
- Packet Seasoning
- OPTIONAL: Cheese, Sour Cream, Coriander and other salads
Heat up the tortilla in a pan, sandwich press or in microwave for 15 seconds. Place on a flat surface, I like to wrap in aluminium foil to keep it all tightly packed so place on a sheet bigger than your tortilla. Serve cooked meat on tortilla with 1-2 tbsp of fresh guacamole. Top with 1/3 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of black beans and add sour cream if you choose. Spoon fresh salsa over the top as desired. To wrap the burrito, fold the ends so the meet in the middle then roll from one of the open ends.
Best enjoyed with a tequila, soda water and fresh squeezed lime.